Certified Addiction Specialist Certification Information
Thank you for your interest in the educational requirements for becoming a Certified Addiction Specialist. The CAS certification is a great first step toward a successful career in the addiction industry. The CAS certification requires no academic degree and less strict experience and continuing education requirements than the CAP and CAC certifications. Below, you’ll find more information about the CAS training course and receive certification from the Florida Certification Board.
Certified Addiction Specialist standards for certification
|Degree:||No academic degree is required|
2,000 hours of direct experience in addictions field
100 hours of direct supervision. A minimum of 8 hours must be documented in each of the professional practice dimensions. The final 36 hours may be documented in any dimension.
|150 hours of training. At least 70 hours must be allocated, as specified, among each of the professional practice dimensions:• Clinical Evaluation – 10 hours
• Treatment Planning – 5 hours
• Referral – 5 hours
• Service Coordination – 5 hours
• Counseling – 20 hours
• Client, Family & Community Education– 5 hours
• Documentation – 5 hours
• Professional & Ethical Responsibilities – 15 hoursAt least 74 hours must be allocated, as specified, in the following transdisciplinary foundations:• Understanding Addiction/Treatment Knowledge-37 hours
• Application to Practice/Professional Readiness-37 hoursAt least 6 hours must be allocated in the following topic areas:
• HIV/AIDS – 6 hours
• Domestic Violence – 2 hours
|Recommendations:||3 professional letters of recommendation for certification.|
|Code of Ethics:||Applicants must attest that they are bound by and will follow the FCB Code of Ethics in their professional practice.|
|Written Test:||Must earn a passing score on the Florida Specific Exam.
To see the exam requirements, click the following link: addiction exam
|10 CEUs each year|
If you’re looking for another course, please click one of the links below to see information on that particular course:
Financing is available for students wishing to take classes in-person. We do not offer financing for distance and/or online learning. Please click here for more information or contact us directly at (877) 944-4235