Master’s Level Certified Addiction Professional (MCAP)
As one of the Florida Certification Board’s latest credentials, the Master’s Level Certified Addiction Professional or MCAP designation gives addiction professionals with a master’s degree in a related field additional recognition within the industry.
- As a result of their previous studies, candidates with a Master’s degree in a related field will be able to achieve MCAP status.
- Current Certified Addiction Professionals who also have a Master’s degree in a related field, may upgrade their certification through the Florida Certification Board. This process may vary depending on when the student obtained their CAP.
- Those holding a license under Florida Statutes Chapters 458, 459, 490, 491, or are a Psychiatric Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) with certain preconditions may apply for the MCAP with the added benefit of a shortened process.
MCAP Requirements (For New Applicants)
|Degree:||Master’s Degree in a related field. (see below for a list of related fields|
|Work Experience:||4,000 hours of direct experience in addictions field|
|Supervision:||200 hours of direct supervision. A minimum of 20 hours must be documented in each of the professional practice dimensions.|
|Training:||350 hours of training. At least 190 hours must be allocated, as specified, among each of the professional practice dimensions:
At least 144 hours must be allocated, as specified, in the following transdisciplinary foundations:
*At least 6 hours must be allocated in the following topic areas:
|Criminal Background:||Must have a clean criminal history for a minimum of 3 years prior to application for certification, including release from all sanctions.|
|Recommendations:||3 professional letters of recommendation for certification.|
|Code of Ethics:||Applicants must attest that they are bound by and will follow the FCB Code of Ethics in their professional practice.|
|Written Test:||Must earn a passing score on the Florida Specific MCAP Exam. Must earn a passing score on the IC&RC AODA Written Exam if international reciprocity is desired. To see the exam requirements, click the following link: addiction exam|
|Renewal:||20 CEUs each year|
Special MCAP Programs
The Florida Certification Board has separate requirements for two special programs within the MCAP certification. The MCAP for Licensed Professionals and the MCAP Upgrade for Current CAPs have their own qualification and education requirements.
The MCAP requires education in a “related field” as determined by the Florida Certification Board. Below are examples of related fields. If you believe that your degree is related but is not listed in the FCB’s application guide, you may be able to appeal. The FCB suggests that you review their appeal policies beforehand as application fees are non-refundable.
- Addiction Studies/Counseling
- Marriage and Family Counseling
- Mental Health Counseling
- Pastoral Counseling
- Rehabilitation Counseling
- Recreational Therapy/Counseling
- Art Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Expressive Arts TherapySocial Work
Advanced Nurse Practitioner with psychiatric specialty
Degrees must be conferred by educational institutions holding United States Department of Education and/or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) recognized accreditation at the time of degree award.