Take Advantage of New, Lower Pricing! Contact Us or Get a Call Back

Tips for Out-of-State Students

We receive inquiries from around the country by students interested in taking our courses, but not knowing how they will reciprocate in their state or country. It is often difficult to decipher the educational requirements as they can vary widely between states. Indeed, no two state governing bodies in the field are the same. To that end, we try to help our prospective students understand their options to get the training they need for their local certification. For those interested in Certified Addiction Professional (CAP) or Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) programs, there is good news.

By virtue of the IC&RC’s ADC (Alcohol & Drug Counselor) designation, most states in the US have set up hey reciprocity agreement to allow counselors from one state to become licensed in another with no additional requirements. The details on which states reciprocate with Florida Certification Board’s CAP designation, the curriculum to which we teach, can be found below


Those looking to attain other certifications for which we provide training may feel like there is no option but to take courses in their home state, as there is no formal reciprocation. However, we have found that some states, especially those that may not have a number of independent educational facilities may be willing to consider out-of-state educational hours as long as they conform to the general topics broadly needed to get that certification. As such, if you’re considering an addiction certification that does not have reciprocity in your state, try:

  • Calling your local certification for regulatory board to ask if they will accept out-of-state educational credit.
  • Send them our course descriptions to ensure topics are broadly aligned with their certification requirements
  • Ask about any limitations on credits being taken through distance or online learning.

While we teach our core Alcohol & Drug Counselor curriculum based on the Florida Certification Board requirements, we are also a NAADAC approved education provider. NAADAC is a national credentialing organization and approved credits are widely accepted the United States. Once again it is important to make sure that your local certification body will accept these credits.

Finally, continuing education rules may be slightly different for each. Counselors looking to take continuing education courses at The Academy should, once again, call your local certification party to ensure that this is both allowed and to make sure that the topic of study is in line with local board requirements.

Please contact us should You need more information I’m taking our courses from out-of-state